The film The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021) is an adaptation of the famous play by William Shakespeare. Set in medieval Scotland, the story follows Macbeth, who encounters three witches who predict his upsurge to power. His thirst for power consumed Macbeth as he committed merciless and immoral acts following every prophecy made by the witches.
Directed by Joel Coen, the film offers a fresh perspective on one of Shakespeare’s most notable tragedies while exploring themes of ambition, power, and the consequences of unchecked desires. Also, its visually striking black-and-white cinematography and stylized approach to the source material made everything more authentic, together with the performance of the stars Denzel Washington as Macbeth and Frances McDormand as Lady Macbeth. Here are some of the most memorable quotes from The Tragedy of Macbeth.
- Macbeth: Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day to the last syllable of recorded time. And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle. Life is but a walking shadow… a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot… full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth: Hear it not, Duncan, for it is a knell that summons thee to Heaven or to Hell.
- Macbeth: O, full of scorpions is my mind, dear wife. Thou knowest that Banquo, and his Fleance, lives. And in his royalty of nature reigns that which would be feared. ‘Tis much he dares. And, to that dauntless temper of his mind, he hath the wisdom to guide his valor to act in safety. There’s none but he whose being I do fear.
- Macbeth: Out, out, brief candle. Life is but a walking shadow… a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- The Witches: Fair Is Foul, And Foul Is Fair.
- Macbeth: Come What May. Time And The Hour Runs Through The Roughest Day.
- Banquo: Or Have We Eaten The Insane Root That Takes The Reason Prisoner?
- Macbeth: False Face Must Hide What The False Heart Doth Know.