Are you thinking about studying interior design and want to know exactly what it’s all about? We explain it to you right now.
Interior design is the study and planning of the interiors and exteriors of a house to meet all the aesthetic tastes of each client. It is closely related to the world of image and architecture. If you want to study interior design, be prepared to do various projects and research papers. It is okay if you get essay assistance to complete the assignments for all the requirements.
An interior designer is in charge of reviewing any building to improve its appearance. If you have a special sensitivity to beautiful places, this job can go with you.
This job has the characteristic of going hand in hand with creativity in its pure state and is in charge of buying all the material so that the person who hires it, is totally satisfied with the result.
Requirements to study interior design
You need to have a series of qualities to be an interior designer, and not just anyone can study this career.
The qualities that you must cultivate if you want to dedicate yourself to this profession are:
- To have an innate sense of aesthetics: since we are talking about the shape and color that the buildings will have inside. The professional who is dedicated to it must have a nice sense of aesthetics to create and mix both shapes and colors.
- Knowing how to combine colors: knowing what colors can be combined for a certain style of a room, for example, and how these colors can enhance it. This is closely related, so you must know what shades of colors to choose for each project.
- Have a lot of knowledge about architecture: the career of architecture and interior design go hand in hand because it gives a better touch to everything that has been built for a house, apartment, or office.
- Have a passion for design and decoration: this is fundamental since all the work is about creating and improving the aesthetics of a place. But it is not only about it, passion is a fervent desire for what you create.
- Creativity is a great ally: this virtue is used in art-related jobs, and this is no exception. To achieve a wide reputation as a designer, one must have outstanding creativity.
- Possess a sense of self-criticism: in this job you have to have a capacity for analysis to know how the work is being done and to elucidate how it can be improved.
- Having social skills: these virtues are necessary for designers, since they have to deal with clients, so they have to know how to connect with those people who hire them.
- Knowing the different materials: knowing which tools are going to be used for each project. Every client wants to have their home in a different way, so it is essential as a designer to know what is being offered.
- Have a natural skill with drawing: to be able to create new designs and know-how to decorate each place, you have to know how it will be carried out before on paper.
- Possess a sense of innovation: each designer has his or her own style when working. Therefore, knowing how to reinvent oneself and being able to create one’s own brand goes hand in hand with innovation.
- Having attention to detail: the ability to notice what for others goes unnoticed makes the difference in this job. Being able to observe different textures in the same shot makes a difference.
- Having a sense of space: proportions, shapes, and colors must be in the same place. This means that you must have a sharp vision to know how each thing will look best and in what order.
- Be aware of furniture trends: this is important since you can suggest a piece of furniture that has the best style for the finish of a certain client’s project.
Can I study interior design without knowing how to draw?
To work as an interior designer you don’t necessarily need to know how to draw, but if you learn it, it can bring many benefits.
One of the most notorious advantages of knowing how to draw is that you can communicate many concepts through images and present them to your clients. This helps a lot to save time.
Another advantage is that you can accurately represent the idea that you want to carry out in a specific property. The drawing is a key piece when it comes to showing all the possibilities of decoration that a room has.
And finally, you will be able to access opportunities that will only appear if you cultivate this skill. Although you can work in several areas of design without knowing how to draw, such as:
- Editorial design
Remember one thing: you can always learn something and develop your skills, just keep going doing what you really love!