King Richard (2021) focuses on the early lives of famous tennis players Venus and Serena Williams. The story concentrates on the family of Richard Williams which consists of his wife, Oracene “Brandy” Price, and his two lovely daughters, Venus and Serene Williams, who, at a young age, have the potential and talent to become great tennis players. Throughout the film, Richard trains and motivates his daughters to excel and improve their games and skills while keeping a humble attitude. As the story goes on, Richard finds a coach, Paul Cohen, to teach and coach Venus and Serena to improve their skills, all for free.
This movie will motivate, empower, and leave you with a lot to feel and think about as this film captivates you with a true story that is different from the usual sports movie as it showcases the real-life challenges and hardships the protagonist faces, just as it does in real life. Here are some of the most memorable quotes from King Richard.
- Richard Williams: The most strongest, the most powerful, the most dangerous creature on this whole earth is a woman who knows how to think. Ain’t nothing she can’t do.
- Richard Williams: No matter how them peoples treated her, no matter how disrespected, she stayed calm, she kept her heart clean. She was humble.
- Richard Williams: We’re more than a team; we’re a family.
- Venus Williams: I think I have the game to beat anyone. I just have to play it.
- Richard Williams : One day, they going to be bragging about the time they met the two of you.”
- Richard Williams : But you, you gonna be the best there ever was. You gonna be the greatest of all time.
- Oracene ‘Brandy’ Williams [to Richard]: Unlike you, I don’t need the world to tell me I’m great.
- Will Hodges: Let us take it from here.
- Paul Cohen: Every American player who’s ever done anything got good following this path.”
- Rick Macci: I think you might just have the next Michael Jordan on your hands.
- Brandy Price: Wouldn’t be no dream if it wasn’t for me. I carried them inside me and on my back. And I carried you, too.
- Richard Williams: Now, I haven’t been no great daddy but I’ve never done nothing but try to protect you.