Ladi Bird is Greta Gerwig’s directorial debut, which she also wrote, starring Saoirse Ronan as Christine MacPherson, who gives herself the name “Lady Bird”. It’s 2002 and Lady Bird is a Senior at her Sacramento Catholic high school. She’s determined to get out of her smalltown home and go to a prestigious college at the end of the year, but she’s already started distancing herself from her family.
Her mother (Laurie Metcalf) fruitlessly protests against Lady Bird’s decision, but she never listens. Their relationship becomes increasingly strained as Lady Bird joins the theatre program, gets a boyfriend, and finds a new group of friends.
The film is rooted in its setting with a soundtrack to match. Here are thirteen of the best songs from the soundtrack of Lady Bird.
- With Fun In My Life – James Whitney
- Hey It’s Love – The Commands
- Hand In My Pocket – Alanis Morissette
- Panis Angelicus – Adolf Fredrik Girls Choir
- Little Of Your Love – HAIM
- Days Of Steam – John Cale
- Crash Into Me – Dave Matthews Band
- The Crossroads – Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
- This Eve Of Parting – John Hartford
- Happy Birthday – Altered Images
- Always See Your Face – Love
- Rosa Mystica – The University of Notre Dame Folk Choir
- Little Plastic Castles – Ani DiFranco